Shop back-to-school sales safely
July 25, 2022
The 2022 back-to-school shopping season has arrived. With rising costs weighing on shoppers’ minds, everyone is looking to take advantage of sales whenever they can. The National Retail Federation reports that in 2022, 43% of consumers are planning to do more comparative shopping online and 42% plan to shop for sales more often. Read on to learn how to keep your information safe while bargain hunting.
Tips for safe back-to-school shopping online
Fraudsters will use our desire of lower prices to bait and trap unsuspecting consumers. There are a few things you should watch out for when browsing deals.
- Avoid browsing on public wi-fi: This can make it easy for a hacker to see and steal information.
- Beware of deals that are “too good to be true”: So you found an amazing deal and splurged on it right away. Your card was charged, but now it seems the store you bought from no longer exists…
- Shop stores that are known and trusted: Any store site that doesn’t have “https://” at the beginning of the url when you are checking out is a red flag. (The S stands for Secure!)
- Never give too much info: Why does that site you’re buying a graphing calculator from need your social security number?
- Beware of links: Your Facebook page showed you an ad for the exact thing you were looking for, and it’s on sale! But after you click on it, your computer screen turns into something that looks like it came out of The Matrix…Phishing by having people click unfamiliar links is the number one cybercrime.
Webster First has your back
Whether you are back-to-school shopping in-store or online, you may find yourself using your debit card quite a bit. Rest assured that when you use your Webster First Debit Mastercard®, you are protected and in control.
Get fraud alerts right to your phone
All of our debit cards come with complimentary fraud monitoring through our Card Alert Notification Program. If potentially fraudulent transactions are detected, we’ll contact you immediately.
Stay in control with the MobiMoney App
You can download our MobiMoney app for even more control over your card. The app allows you to:
- Turn your card on and off.
- Set limits on debit card use based on spend amount, location, merchant type, or transaction type.
- Set alerts based on location, transaction type, or amount spent. Any charges not made by you will not go unnoticed.
Backed by Mastercard®
The Webster First debit card is backed by Mastercard, which means you will not be held responsible for unauthorized transactions. Zero Liability† applies to purchases made in store, over the phone, online, via a mobile device, and ATM transactions. Cardholders can also enroll in Mastercard’s ID Theft Protection™ program for no additional charge. So when you are back-to-school shopping, there’s no need to stress. Webster First and Mastercard have your back.